Monday 27 November 2023

Commas between Main Clauses - Writing English

 Use a comma between two main clauses which are separated by and or but.

Example: We ran out of fuel, and the nearest petrol station was 5 miles away.

Use a comma to separate parts of a sentence in a sequence.

Example: She ran down the stairs, opened the door, saw her boyfriend(,) and gave him a kiss.

Dont use a comma if these parts of the sentence are separated by and or but.

Example: She ran down the stairs and opened the door and saw her boyfriend and gave him a kiss.

Note: Dont use a comma, but a semi colon, if two main clauses are not separated by and or but.

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to go to the party, but she was too tired to go.
    She bought some bread, cheese, and wine for the picnic.
    She needed to finish her homework and go to the store before it closed

    ReplyDelete
  2. George had already done his homework, but his parents wouldn't leave him alone.

    Before leaving, he closed the windows, turned off the iron, checked the gas stove and only then left the house.

    He saw her and immediately approached her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I need to finish my homework, and then I can go out with my friends.
    2) I like to read, write, and listen to music.
    3) He told me he didn't like the movie but agreed to watch another one with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I wanted to go to the new cinema with a friend, but she said she had too much to do.
    2) When I'm nervous, I walk around the room, drink hot tea, turn on a funny video and try to calm down.
    3) He said he was very tired but I wanted to go for a walk with him.

    ReplyDelete

Angelina Jolie receives the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the 2013 Governors Awards

  Watch the interview and answer the question: What problem does Angelina raise in her acceptance speech?