Thursday 19 November 2020

Wish + verb forms in the that-clause

 

The verb forms we use in that-clauses after wish are similar to the verb forms in conditional clauses after if. We use a past verb form for present and future meanings.

Compare

if

wish

It would be good if we had a bigger car.

wish we had a bigger car.

It would be good if I knew how to use this DVD player.

wish I knew how to use this DVD player.

When we wish something about the past, we use the past perfect after wish:

wish I had known Charlie was coming. I would have invited Jane. (I didn’t know it and did not invite Jane.)

wish I hadn’t said that. I can see I’ve upset you. Sorry. (I did say it; it would have been better if I had not said it.)

Wish + would

We can use wish + would if we are annoyed about something that is or is not happening, or about something that will or will not happen:

wish you’d stop making so much noise! (You are making a noise; it would be better if you didn’t.)

wish you wouldn’t come through the kitchen with your dirty boots on. (You do come through the kitchen; it would be better if you didn’t.)

In informal situations, we can use wish in the continuous form like this:

He’s embarrassing everyone. I’m just wishing he would go away!


Make up 3 sentences with 'wish' and post them in the commentary section below. 

3 comments:

  1. 1-I wish I had told her the truth.
    2-I wish you would stop phoning me today I have a lot of other work to do.
    3-I wish that baby would stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish she’d be quiet.

    I wish I could have gone to the party.

    I wish you weren’t leaving tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew her telephone number.
    I wish I knew what to do about the problem.
    I wish you didn’t have to go so soon.

    ReplyDelete

Angelina Jolie receives the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the 2013 Governors Awards

  Watch the interview and answer the question: What problem does Angelina raise in her acceptance speech?